The University of Kentucky Center for Appalachian Research in Environmental Sciences (UK-CARES) Career Development Program is coordinated in a partnership with the Administrative Core and led Dr. Kevin Pearson. The mission of the Career Development Program is to promote collaboration among basic, clinical, and population scientists; support early-stage investigators in developing diverse professional skills; and to attract mid-level investigators and scientists in other fields through opportunities to focus on environmentally-induced diseases.
- Promote career development of early-stage investigators.
- Provide opportunities for mid-level investigators to focus on environmental health-related research.
- Foster collaborations among investigators working in basic, clinical and population science fields.
- Develop scientific enrichment activities for all UK CARES investigators.
Closed on July 24, 2020, at 5:00 pm, ET
If you would like to receive notifications of future calls for applications, please click here to join our mailing list.
UK-CARES is now accepting applications from full-time early-stage investigators (ESI) at the University of Kentucky (UK) for the Career Development Program.
Career Development Awards are limited to full-time faculty at the rank of Assistant Professor (all title series are eligible including regular, research, clinical and special) at UK, and is intended to support early-career investigators as they build their capacity to design and implement innovative, studies in environmental health sciences that will lead to NIEHS pilot and extramural funding. Post-doctoral trainees are not eligible for this award.
The Career Development Awards [up to $60,000 in total direct costs, plus 50.5% for Facilities and Administrative Costs (F&A) for up to 20 months] will be made on a competitive basis to support activities designed to grow the faculty member’s EHS program of research. It is anticipated that funds will be available for 1-2 awards depending on the number of meritorious applications and needs of the specific project.
- Jay Christian, PhD (Past)
- Eva Goellner, PhD (Current)
- Patrick Hannon, PhD (Current)
- James Keck, MD, MPH (Current)
- Zhiguo Li, PhD (Current)
- Margaret "Maggie" Murphy, PhD (Current)
- Julia Ravenscroft, PhD (Current)
- Shuxia Wang, PhD (Past)
- Zhishan Wang, PhD (Past)
Kevin Pearson, PhD, Leader, UK-CARES Career Development Program
Professor, Graduate Faculty in Nutritional Sciences, Cardiovascular Research Center